MIKAL Salon & Spa Software
Cutting Edge Management and Marketing Ideas for Independent Operators, Salons and Spas. Use these ideas with your MIKAL software to move your business forward. Not using MIKAL yet? Call us for a free evaluation and walk through of what we can do for you! Welcome - Fred Dengler MIKAL Co-Founder and CEO
|Posted on January 15, 2023 at 11:10 PM||comments (853)|
MIKAL is rolling out the new and improved On-line booking system for our salons and spas. Easy to use and full of features clients love!
New clients can now activate an account and book on-line
Clients can prepay an appointment reservation fee by credit card to secure the appointment
Clients can see their loyalty points
Management has a dozen management reports available at the touch of a button
Also - sell electronic Gift Cards in Mikal on-line. Set up multiple cards, packages, and have the card emailed to the client/recipient. Automatically updated in Mikal and all cart processing handled. See and get operational at Camp Mikal
On-line booking will quiet the phones and reduce front desk costs, give clients 24/7 booking ability, and give you analysis reporting at the touch of a button
|Posted on January 5, 2023 at 8:45 AM||comments (302)|
Is your Salon or Spa ready to make some serious money for Valentine's Day?
MIKAL Salons and Spas are ahead of the curve and are taking advantage of the big Valentine promotions now with our award winning software. See the ideas below and give us a call with any questions! NOW is the time to get your promotion together. Don't be paralyzed by weather, a slow economy mindset and don't let the retail stores get all the Valentine Promotion $ales!
Valentine Sales are happening right now - are you set to plug into them?
- Get your decorations up NOW. If you don't have any take the idea from Tracy at Styling One, a progressive MIKAL owners: Tracy says "I didn't have much money and one of my stylists took me to the dollar store in town and there were TONS of cute things. For less than $20 we got window decorations, heart shaped baskets, Red and White wrapping paper. I ran my Inventory Ranking Report and set up a table with all the slooooooow moving items with a sign 40% off. We set up the table with an area with the wrapping paper I got at the dollar store and allow the clients to wrap their purchases for free! Slow moving Product is flying off the table and clients love the ability to do their own gift wrapping for free. They have even sent friends in to get items. Also be sure to set the items up in your MIKAL inventory as Non-Commission so you don't pay commission on these liquidation items. Does your software system highlite the products that you need to MOVE NOW and maximize your retail profits?
- Sell special Valentine Gift Cards: Vince at Hair Care has special cards printed by a company that does small quantities of cards that have Valentine graphics and preprinted amounts of $50 and $100. He uses the MIKAL gift card system to track the sales and redemptions. Note: MIKAL Gift Card processing is FREE - no fees or charges except for your card costs. Vince says this is his third year doing it. Vince says: "Clients come up to the front desk where we have the Valentine gift cards displayed and just buy them as quick point of purchase items. The display is what sells the items. They look great and are inexpensive. Patty Jones at Raco gets them for me fast." Raco's number is 513-984-2101 or 800-446-1991.
- Do you have a Spa Sampler package to sell? The Sonorama Spa puts a package together of services including a manicure, 30 minute mini facial, 15 minute chair massage, hair styling service, and make-up touch up for $99 for Valentine's Day. It is only redeemable Monday thru Wednesday from 9am to 5pm but includes complementary baked goods, a single rose, and a chocolate treat to take home! Last year they sold and booked 300+ of these packages by advertising on the radio the first 2 weeks in February during rush hour drive time 7am to 9am and 5pm to 6pm Monday thru Friday only. Sonorama made sure they had booking experts available to take the calls and credit cards charges right over the phone. Note: they also upgraded over 50 of the calls to the Valentine Day of Rejuvination that costs $449! MIKAL has the easiest to sell and redeem package tracking system in the beauty industry. Sell series, standings, and day packages with just a few simple keystrokes with your MIKAL software. Call us for more package ideas!
- Do you have your MIKAL Packages implemented, Client Loyalty Points Program, and Inventory Ranking report run for the Valentine's Day promotions? Call your MIKAL support team to get the systems in place and bust this recessionary trend! Call us at 513-528-5100.
- Do you have the amazing MIKAL JAVA based SEVEN software or some other package that just is not measuring up? See the power of the new Management Dash Board, the unique MIKAL SPLASH Screen, the Automatic Autopilot E-marketing system, and get a FREE Salon/Spa Policy Manual e-mailed to you if you call and give us 15 minutes to show you an Internet based presentation of our award winning software. Call and ask for an e-mail of our information package - an awesome upgrade.
The MIKAL Corporation
|Posted on December 30, 2022 at 2:50 PM||comments (823)|
I want to share with you one of the biggest challenges of my career in the beauty business and how I recovered with the knowledge I have gained from you and your team and with our MIKAL software.
In March two employees moved several blocks down to a booth operation. One stylist was the top producer who had seven years with us. The other stylist had been with us for twenty years and was a reliable performer. They accounted for more than $200,000 of gross income.
Our contract was implemented in 2021 so both were excluded. I considered them to be loyal employees. It's the familiar story: both came to us with nothing and we supported them with supplemented education, benefits, and support in their personal lives.
After many tears, I dusted myself off, prayed to God to guide me, and on the way to work a few days after this bombshell I heard these strategies in my head:
I called all the "monthlies" which could be negotiated and did so.
We had recently cut back to bi-weekly payroll which was fortunate.
I used the inventory software to make tough calls on products leaving and staying.
I had a tasteful sign for "SALE" items and devoted about 12 linear vertical feet to that area in a visible area (beside shampoo area)
When distributors challenged me I remained steadfast.
I asked my top producer if she could give me two Saturdays a month. (She said "yes".
I discontinued the housekeeping position in the daytime and hired three new talent salaried stylists over a three month period to perform these duties.
I created retail specials for six week periods and produced framed signage at each station, easel signs, and foam board signs on restroom doors.We used an in-house graphic design software then emailed the product and specs to Kinkos and produced a professional looking sign for a very reasonable price.
I created bundles of all kinds seasonally.
We put small cards with retail promotions in every welcome bag for new clients.
Service Sales Marketing:
I used my MIKAL reporting and appointment book analysis to identify client types:
* 1. Clients who came every 8-10 weeks for haircuts only.
* 2. Clients who came every 4-6 weeks for haircuts.
* 3. Clients who came every 8-10 weeks for color and cut services.
* 4. Clients who came every 4-6 weeks for color and cut services.
* 5. Clients who came regularly for straightening or keratins.
The minute the stylists left on the last day, I began contacting clients by email (with the MIKAL system) or by telephone using the Mikal Last Visit date list if no email address was available and offered the following:
*1. Next haircut is on the house. NOTE: all these offers were for clients who had been to the stylists who left us at least 3 times in the last 12 months. Easy to find and automatically generate with MIKAL. I did not want to give deals to salon or house clients or newer clients who where not yet loyal to the stylists that were exiting!
* 2. Next three cuts are on the house. For non responders to #1
* 3. Next color and cut are OTH.
*4. Next three (3) color and cut OTH. For non responders to #3
* 5. Next keratin deal
I personally made calls for up to five hours a day. Over a six month period I continued to place emails and phone calls to clients who had not returned. I personally recommended a stylist(s) for each client.
ALL LOYAL SERVICE PROVIDERS WERE PAID IN FULL FOR SERVICES.
Clients who received one free color and cut received a promotional card to get the next cut and style free with their next color service with any stylist of their choice.
I bought a unique hole punch and used that to punch a business card to create a gift certificate to check against the transactions in the MIKAL sales history.
Departing stylists were frantically texting and calling loyal stylists about what clients were coming in.
Stylists wondered why the departing stylists had so much time to text and call.
Loyal stylists were increasingly busy and verbalized that the departing stylists had made a mistake. They expressed loyalty to our salon.
Clients verbalized to me that they had wanted a change for a time but were reluctant to "hurt" the long time stylist.
Within two months 2/3 of the contacted clients for the 20 year stylist visited. Within 2 months 50% of the contacted clients for the top producer visited.
Clients verbalized to me how much they appreciated my personal attention.
A few clients returned but did not want to take advantage of any offer.
In less than two years, our numbers returned to the March figures.
On Dec. 5, two years later, the booth rental salon closed its doors.
We could not have survived this challenge without many years of education and input from your team. We could not have recovered so well without the MIKAL software.
I have learned many painful lessons and maybe they can help another owner.
My dear friend, Fred. One last tid-bit. I paid off the last piece of debt incurred after the walk out and another salon disaster last month. We had borrowed almost a million dollars across a bank, SBA, and SBA loan and paid it off in less than eight years while growing the SECOND location.
Thanks for being a key piece of our success over these decades.
|Posted on December 29, 2022 at 7:15 PM||comments (712)|
Let's take this down time to fine tune our systems! Have you ever logged into the Mikal Client web portal?
It has a TON of great information for you.
- Mikal Reports Book download a 60 page book full of examples and ideas on how to read and use your MIKAL reports. Sold for $39 – FREE DOWNLOAD this month.
- Quick Start Manual download is a daily operations and set up book on Mikal. Use this book to make sure your system is set up to make a maximum positive impact on your business. Sold for $69 - FREE DOWNLOAD this month.
Plus the Mikal BLOG with great ideas and articles and much more.
Click on the LINK to get your FREE manuals and more!
Go the the MIKAL web site and at the bottom of the page select Client Site
ID is tech
PW is tech
Download manuals, see the Blog and more!
NOW is the time to upgrade and fine tune Mikal SEVEN in your salon/spa. 513-528-5100
- On line booking running
- EMBA on staff phones
- SEVEN up and running
- VIP Loyalty Points Program
Your MIKAL Team
|Posted on December 29, 2022 at 12:30 AM||comments (664)|
2022 has had some challenges - But we are starting the New Year!
Don't think New Year's Resolutions, think about your 2023 EVOLUTION
Resolutions don't work. The average person keeps them for less than 2 weeks (remember the gym membership, fruit diet, juicer machine etc…;). So the wheels will fall off the Resolution train.............
Why don't resolutions work? Because it is our human behavior. It is our habit. It is easy. It might even be satisfying. So instead of trying to change behavior why not change the environment, the process, or the system and the behavior will change.
So instead let's EVOLVE!
Let's look at every system and process in our business and figure out how we can make it simpler, faster, better for staff and clients, and of course more profitable.
A few examples:
The front desk is an area of on-going frustration. Turn over of staff, poor client service, down time is not used to clean, organize, do confirmations, and retail and rebooking is not a priority.
So do we resolve to put as much time into the front desk as needed to change these things? Do we clean house and hire new receptionists? Is that our Resolution, to have a Revolution?
Ready to go all Tabitha on the desk?
Or the idea from MIKAL....
How about activating EMBA so the future appointment is booked before the client even comes up to the front desk to check out? The Employee Mobil Booking App lets your staff book the client's next appointment on their smart phone with the client at the end of the service!
How about embedding the Surveymonkey surveys into the automatic new client and reminder emails and texts MIKAL sends out for you for immediate feedback and ideas on what needs to change to improve the client experience?
How about putting in message on hold and call queue option on the phone to auto hold calls if not answered in 2 rings so the front desk can finish sales, rebook, and close retail without interruptions on putting people on hold?
- Support system involves giving the upsell offers in your message on hold.
- Education needs to happen so staff knows how to handle the call queue option.
How about giving a bonus when the receptionist rebooks a client, upsells a service, converts a price call to a booking, and sells NEW retail items to a client? The desk would be rewarded to do the things you want them to do. Sales would increase, retention would go up, and the bonus would increase wages so they would not leave over a fifty cent pay increase from a company down the street.
- Support system involves setting spiffs for rebooks, upsells, add on sales in MIKAL.
- Education needs to have scripting in place to deliver the offers.
- Support system needs to give clients loyalty points for rebooking automatically.
How about setting up the receptionist goals so every week they get a report on how they are doing compared to your expectations?
If the present desk staff can't embrace these positive steps how about hiring people that are going to embrace your systems?
So we Evolve with changes to the systems and the process allowing the people to change their behavior. You can manage the process instead of the people.
Why not do this for other areas?
Retailing - what can be changed to make retail easy?
Professional inventory- what can be put in place to track and fine tune inventory?
Stylist behaviors - what can be put in place to reward positive behaviors?
Social marketing - what can be put in place to make it automatic and effective?
Let's think through these areas and enhance the process and systems.
MIKAL Salon Software
|Posted on December 24, 2022 at 6:45 PM||comments (684)|
Just imagine.................Having your MIKAL computer look at the cancellations and availability in your book and automatically send appointment opportunities to your clients. The book fills up! Like MAGIC….Your JITA Genie has arrived!
Every night our system looks at the availability in your book and sends your clients an e-mail or text message inviting them to take advantage of the booking opportunity. We call it JITA the Just In Time Appointment system.
What is JITA worth to you? If JITA adds just one appointment per day for a service provider and the average service is $40 then JITA will increase sales $8000.00 per service provider per year. EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS! That is a 10 percent increase in sales for the average service provider. WOW! PLUS - when a client cancels, how much time do you spend trying to fill that appointment? Do you call the wait list, try to rearrange the book? Save all that time and know that JITA is working for you every day. Cross market openings for Spa to Hair clients and Nail to Spa clients – automatically. JITA runs and the book fills up!
Wish you were booked SOLID?
You are in control
You decide who gets the JITA offers.
You decide to send only to clients who do not have a future appointment for that service.
You decide the limited number of offers for each employee.
You decide if JITA offers morning, afternoon, or evening booking opportunities.
You decide the service recommendations that match each employee's services.
You decide if there is a discount.
So unlike web based services that you have to pay for and revenue share the booking income with..... YOU ARE IN CHARGE.
You don't share your revenue. (Booking services charge a sign up fee and 15-18 percent of service booked)
You don't have to give discounts.
You don't create clients who WAIT for appointment offers.
You don't have staff mad at discounted offers being done during busy times.
You don't give your client list to someone else.
You MAKE MONEY.
Want to see JITA?
Call MIKAL and see how JITA will work for you. Call your MIKAL consultant today 513-528-5100 or email [email protected]
|Posted on December 21, 2022 at 1:15 PM||comments (447)|
Automatic Appointment Confirmations with MIKAL 7.1 are amazing
35 to 65 percent of clients are confirming back their appointments within an hour of receiving an appointment reminder!
MIKAL 7.1 includes a link that clients can confirm back their appointment reminder automatically by clicking a simple link and it is updated on the Mikal confirmation list and on the client’s appointment details.
Get 7.1 and activate this powerful feature.
Clients are loving it. Confirmation phone calls are greatly reduced. No shows are reduced.
Call Mikal today 513-528-5100 ext 1
and order the upgrade.
Need your text numbers cleaned up and corrected? Mikal can do your entire client base in a day. Call us for costs and schedule this great service.
Automatic Appointment confirmations are included in your On-Line Booking and EMBA service at no extra cost. If you do not use OLB or EMBA the Confirmation system maintenance service fee is $20 per month. This includes Mikal Cloud set up, trouble shooting, maintenance, delivery verification assistance, and support and updates. Credit card on file is required for automatic billing the first of each month.
|Posted on December 20, 2022 at 4:20 PM||comments (1978)|
Your compensation system needs to match performance to income, especially at the high end. We should not lose our top performers to a higher "percentage".
It costs over $ 6000.00 in time, expenses, and training to bring new employees on board and get them productive. This does not allow for lost sales!
We need to set up a compensation system that helps us to keep our top operators.
Most salon/spa compensation systems do not reward the top achievers in the salon while making the employees that are at break even (or less) works harder to receive the same benefits that the top performers receive.
Who are your TOP performers?Running the Ranking Report for the Year will show who is leading the pack. The Management Summary helps you see performance using specific benchmarks.
Do you have this challenge?
Some of your operators may have begun to realize that they can make a comfortable living by showing up 25 hours a week and being booked solid during that time. The problem with this is that, while they are good revenue producers, they:
1.) take up "prime time" (Red) hours with their regular customers so that new customers cannot get in and new operators cannot build.
2.) are in the salon/spa doing customers with a full book and they cannot help with any salon/spa operations like folding towels, cleaning, helping at the desk.......
3.) become more independent because they are not in the salon culture often enough (they stop being part of the team)
We recommend you grandfather your present staff (continue to pay them in the agreed on way). You need to develop a compensation system for new employees that is more motivating and is based on contribution to the salon/spa's overall goals.
Hours:Any employee working less than 36 hours per week is not considered full time. Non full time staff does NOT get paid vacations, may be required to share the station, and cannot have all "prime time" hours (ex: they only get to work every other Saturday).
Any employee working less than 30 hours per week is considered part time and does NOT receive paid vacations, sick days, free business cards, exclusion from service charges, must share a station and must book all work during Green and Yellow booking times (see Booking ideas earlier in this report).
Track all employees hours on the time clock.
|Posted on October 6, 2022 at 3:45 PM||comments (1300)|
Here is one small tactic you can add to your customer relations program that will endear you to your clients.
We know clients like to feel important… who doesn’t like to be greeted by name when they walk through the door of our salons or spas? When we ask Mrs. Smith how her home remodel is coming along, or when we ask Mrs. Skinner how her daughter did in her last soccer game… they wonder how we can remember the details of their lives. Good salon and spa software (like MIKAL) can help us remember those small details easily.
But what if you could add a bit of brightness to your clients’ days with one small change in how you greet them as they enter your establishment? Something that doesn’t cost a lot, is easy to do and makes them feel so very special… something they can only get in your salon or spa?
One of our salon owners at one time worked at Starbucks part time while she was getting her new salon up and running. Using the knowledge she gained from making Starbucks coffee drinks, she decided to bring that into her salon for her clients. She taught her stylists and assistants how to build a macchiato (strong coffee, frothed milk). She added a little cinnamon and a swirl or crosshatch of local honey on top, and her clients were served a cinnamon-honey macchiato for free! They loved the macchiato (a step up from regular coffee or tea at other salons) and they loved the extra attention.
You do not need to invest in a $5,000 espresso machine. A regular coffee pot and regular coffee (or dark roast or espresso roast will do) and frothed milk is all you need (along with some Saigon cinnamon and local honey, of course). A vast array of reasonably priced milk frothers is available online. Her favorite brands were Capresso and Secura. Served in china mugs, not Styrofoam cups, these fancy macchiatos made her clients feel extra special… which, of course, was her goal.
It takes a little extra effort to keep the frother clean in betweenuses, but the smiles on her clients’ faces were worth it. And the Thank You’s.
Cinnamon-honey macchiatos: an easy way to help ensure client loyalty.
|Posted on June 23, 2022 at 2:45 PM||comments (235)|
Tough clients? We have the answers!
You can MAXIMIZE the Resistant and Stalwart Experience by Marketing with MIKAL
Today’s consumer is more and more inclined to spend money on experiences than on items. Experience purchases now win out for up to 40% of all consumers. It is over 60% of millennials would rather spend on experiences than items!
How do we take advantage of this trend?
We offer mini experiences. We set up the system and salon/spa to support the client WOW.
Packages with RICH descriptions. Services on our web site with details benefit laden descriptions. Scripts for our staff with the same…………..
What we don’t do: discount our packages and make them a commodity (think ITEM).
Sell gift cards for a cheaper rate – where is the experience part of the sale?
- Come up with a first time offer for the price check prospects for each area of the salon/spa. Tie to your Google offer, your Social media, and your referral program – is this working for you?
- Set up a pdf you can instantly e-mail for the client screen for the price inquiries – do you have?
- Set descriptions of all services for pop up that are packed with benefits – do you have this?
- Train the staff especially the desk to use the benefits – script and role play!
- Use the Up-$ells to add on the experience services that WOW – does your system do this?
- 4 Corner your front area to create the perfect client experience – call for our diagram
- Time line to maximize every WOW opportunity during the client visit – ask for our timeline info
- Review your Unique Selling Points – do you work on these items every week?
- Use the EMBA to prebook at the chair/station – know why this is powerful?
- Video the finish or make up touchup on the client phone – do you do this now?
- Reward the client with instant rebates of the loyalty points on each visit – set this up?
- Use the Thank you and New Client Thank you to follow up
- Use the Xris-Xross marketing to suggest NEW client experiences – automatic with Mikal
- Publish the positive client experience comments – make sure it is available on Google!
- Promote the client experience options in your business – are these part of your USPs?
- Make sure you have a mini client experience option – know why this is critical?
- Put together packages, series and Events to keep the client experience fresh – important!
Now is the time to get on these programs and strategies. This trend for experiences in going to grow and if your salon/spa is not positioned for this big change in consumer buying you will miss out!